Tuesday, April 22, 2008

First ever REAL Blog post

This will be my (Jay’s… and I’ll likely do most of the entries, but not all) VERY FIRST blog, and I am excited about it! The TIR has been very good at expanding our horizons even though we’ve been in the running scene for some time. This blog is yet another example among many.

One incredibly unique unforeseen aspect about doing the TIR is how many “friends” we’ve made as a result of doing this event! I put quotes around “friends” (but probably shouldn’t have as I have extensive evidence that they are real live authentic friends) because I am quite “old-school” in many regards. One of these ways, I suppose, is that I have a hard time conceptualizing the possibility of making friends through putting on an event and through written correspondence... certainly untraditional ways to make friends. Normally, I would likely use the term “good acquaintances” in such cases. However, in this instance, I would say that "friend" is the more appropriate term. Many of you will know what I am talking about. For us… it’s been a wonderful consequence of doing the TIR – THANK YOU!

Anyway, we had visions of the updates page on our event website being “Blog-like”. However, through the course of the year, it became clear that we had to stick to the more important pieces of information on the race (things already confirmed) as it otherwise would be utter info-overload for people doing the event. Right now, I imagine people reading this (which very well just may be our Moms, and if so, that’s ok) nodding their heads in agreement, thinking, “Wasn’t it already information overload?” So, if you just want what you ought to know before doing the TIR and seeing some team highlights (like last year), the Updates Page should suffice. However, if you would like to know about some of the things we’re working on (and which things we’d like to work on), weigh in on some topics (and significantly influence the event), see how our running is going, or simply get to know us a bit better, this will be the place for all that. Who knows what will come of it?!?! MOST of the BEST things about the TIR came as a result of a personal connection. Let's see what happens!

With that, please don’t be a stranger! We VERY MUCH enjoy hearing what you’re up to, receiving team pictures, and getting to know you (even though the venue/method IS a little unconventional)!!! Will you be our friend (smile)?!?

9 comments:

Bill D said...

Welcome to the blog world and thanks again for putting on such a wonderful event.

Tiggs said...

welcome to bloggy world jay :)

I met my entire TIR 2008 team via blogging...and you know they gotta be friends to spend 40 sweaty hours in a van with me!

In all seriousness, I have met some really wonderful people via running blogs and consider a very large group of bloggers to be my friends. The wonder of the internet!

Tommy said...

I ran TIR this year with the battling bloggers. It was a great event and I had an incredible time meeting some of the people in person who I had only known electronically (Tiggs was one). It is good to see that now you are one of us.

K said...

Another battling blogger here and I met most of the team on the morning of the start of TIR.

I consider them all friends!

Welcome to the blogosphere! We can't wait for TIR 2009!!

Jay & Joy said...

Would it be too forward to say that terms/phrases like "blog world", "bloggy world", "now you are one of us", and "blogosphere" kind of scare me (smile)!

Ha - just kidding... Thanks for commenting so kindly on my first blog post! We're so glad that you had a good memorable time at the TIR.

Also, thanks for being advocates for the TIR... I'd particularly like to call out Bill on this as we met him 2 years ago (in real live person) at the Houston expo 16 months ago... exceptionally cool to us then and nothing but since. Thanks, Bill - we REALLY appreciate it.

Jay & Joy said...

Please delete "2 years ago" from the above in your minds as I can't seem to find how to do that in the blogdom.

Jason Crouch said...

Yo Jay - Welcome to the world of blogging, even if it does scare you a little bit. I have made some very real friends during my blogging time over the past nine months or so.

By the way, who/what is "R.D."?

Jason Crouch said...

I just figured it out - Race Director. Is that a common abbreviation?

Sarah said...

Another Battling Blogger here. Blogs rock! :)