Friday, October 17, 2008

Further Indoctrination Into The World Wide Web

One thing that has been interesting and has broadened our horizons a bit as we’ve worked on the relay is that we have definitely worked with, met, or otherwise been exposed to some REALLY interesting people. No No… I’m not talking about YOU specifically (maybe)… I’m talking about those other people! (smile)

One favorite pastime of mine is to see who is linking to our event (which, by the way, anytime you can put www.TexasIndependenceRelay.com on your blog, a messageboard post, or anywhere else, please go for it! We like people who do that a lot!). When someone clicks on the link, we’re able in most cases to track back to see where the link was left, what context it is in, etc.

One time, someone linked to us on a messageboard that was for new moms. It was unbelievable how active this messageboard was, and although I must recommend that the fellas not subject themselves to that site, I have to admit I did feel somewhat devious as I lurked about that place myself (only for a few minutes until it was clear I needed to go). We’ve been linked on a site about college football. And, we’ve been linked on a peculiar forum devoted to bass fishing. As they say about this world… it takes all kinds… and you can definitely see that on the world wide web.

















Today, I may have happened upon a Texas Independence Relay link in simultaneously the most interesting AND the most mundane place. There is this guy, Dave, from Ashland, Virginia, who “produces” a weekly podcast where he essentially takes you out on his 5 mile run. His site is http://ashlanddave.podbean.com/. So, for the entire “show”, you get to listen to Dave non-stop provide his thoughts on running, or whatever else he’s thinking about at the moment. I guess you could say it’s similar to this blog here (smile), or like the talkative runners you may run with on occasion. You’re on the run with him for about 25 minutes. He talks while breathing a bit heavily at times from his running, and he evidently runs on pavement and/or is a heavy footstriker as you can clearly hear the pit-pat of his footsteps. Then for the last 5-10 minutes he answers emails with somewhat hokie music playing in the background. I’m going to send an email and try to get on next week’s show!

I thought to myself more than once, “What the heck am I doing! If I continuously nod my head throughout the program, can I log the mileage, too? And, is there any way I can have the last 30min of my life back?” Sorry, Dave. I mean, it may be interesting to family and or Ashland locals, but at points, it sure seems to be a lot about nothing.

Then, again, I found it strangely fascinating because you actually start to feel like you’re getting to know Dave, who might as well be your neighbor, as you’re on the run with him. He’s got a marathon coming up on November 11. He’s run 4 or 5, but he maintains a healthy respect for it. Both his Dad and his wife runs. He’s nearing 40, and he’s even thinking of doing a 40mile ultra in celebration. He carries on for awhile about not being able to run faster. (As an aside, while speed may not be his natural gift, it is hard not want to scream through the computer, “It may be slightly easier to run more quickly, Dave, if you weren’t talking the whole time!” (smile)) A little bit later, he comments about how he sure doesn’t want to think about someday not being able to run, but that he supposes that day is coming. In the end, for some reason that I can’t put my finger on, I kinda liked Dave in a weird podcast-listener kind of way even though Dave isn’t from Texas. He’s genuine, and he even had a sign-off like an old small town radio show that I liked, which was, “This is AshlandDave,.. run to the finish and then keep on running.”


So, here is my email to Dave, which should hopefully be on his Episode #34 (It will be interesting to see if he gets that I am jesting, OR if I will be one of the "interesting" people he's met online!):

Dear AshlandDave,

Thanks for linking the Texas Independence Relay onto your site, and for mentioning the event during the answering-email portion of your #33 episode. However, I must say that I found the extent of your coverage of the TIR to be somewhat lacking. You mentioned it for a total of 3 seconds within a 37min podcast. This is HUGELY disappointing because anyone knows that a race commemorating Texas’ independence is de facto the greatest race in the world. This is an uncontestable fact. Your listeners are getting ripped off if you do not provide as much coverage of this as possible! Indeed you should have entire episodes devoted solely to the TIR! I suppose you may be excused THIS time.

Seriously, it really is a wonderful event because of the people who do it! I am not sure if you and your team are ready for the Texas Independence Relay (this is what we call a “Come and Take It” challenge), but it can certainly be a stretch goal to set your sights on!

Also, I take exception to the title of your blog, Running in the Center of the Universe. This would be an appropriate title if you’re running in Texas… but I don’t believe you are.

Finally, Dave, I wish you all the best in your upcoming November 9th marathon! Keep up the good work in your running as well as in your podcasting!

Jay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jay,

Since receiving your email, I have learned you are the race director for the Texas Independence Relay. Wow! I had no idea, since you know, I'm from Virginia, and we're not allowed to mess with Texas up here! :)

A friend of mine named Rich (from The Woodlands) told me about the relay and suggested "Jay" might be the RD. So I checked out the TIR site and you have my whole podcast and website/logo showcased! I've very honored and yes, I totally figured out you were jesting.

Ashland (Virginia) is a semi small town, about 7000 people. We are part of the larger Richmond metropolitan area so we do know about indoor plumbing. It's a nice place to live, work and run. That's what I do and I there's always something to podcast about. Like I say in my show, podcasting is a great way to pass the miles.

Many thanks for listening and featuring the podcast on your blog. I have a friend in Dallas. Maybe he'll let me stay at his place if I run the relay someday!

From Ashland,

Dave